Thursday, November 10, 2011

Snovember

Really. Whose idea was this? Yesterday's forecast was for rain.

A funny kind of rain, if you ask me ... which of course no one did.


Mr. Rocky would like to know how he's supposed to get ready for winter when winter seems to be ALREADY HERE!

Rubbing his little paws in consternation

It snowed all day Wednesday. Four inches of what we call "heart attack snow" - the heavy, wet kind that is extra-hard to shovel.


Running into a friend in the parking lot at work, I gestured at the sky and said "What is this?"

"Wisconsin," he replied.

Thursday morning, a light snow is still falling. My parsley, which is usually good for a few hard frosts, seems to have survived this as well:


One tattered leaf clings to the grapevine in the little copse out back:


And there are small ice continents on the pine trees.


I would lodge a complaint, but the first heavy snow is so beautiful and somehow exciting that I simply have to enjoy it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

12 comments:

  1. Pretty as it is, I implore you to not send it east. I am still coming to terms with the snow of last November. And December, January, February. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow!!! I am as excited by it now as I was as a child ... love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo, how exciting. I love the first snow of winter, so long as I don't have to drive in it that is.
    Keep warm!
    Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you are keeping warm! It is certainly getting colder here, but not snow weather I think.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...LOL! It just missed us here in Minneapolis. I'm laughing because we are the ones who usually get that stuff. It is in the 30's here today. We still have leaves that need raking. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love snow, always find it very exciting. But I guess it can get a little tedious after a while. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snow is so magical and I always want it to come. Of course, having greenhouses makes the nursery men in my family a bit testy.
    I always think it a wonder, being from the "topics".
    Stay warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, 4 inches! I'm not mentally prepared for this yet. Hope ours doesn't come quite so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for showing me what is about to come here!

    However, we still haven't had one single frosty night. It's scary, really. But it will change soon, I can feel it in my toes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snow seems to be one of those polarizing topics (is that a pun?) - everyone either loves it or hates it. Most of us love it, at least until mid-February, by which time we are longing to see brown earth again!

    Thanks for all the comments and warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a visually poetic masterpiece of treasures to be found in the dead of winter, if we but look. I don't mind the snow too much; I just don't care for what it causes during rush hour...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness your pictures make me feel chilly!!! :) Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....